Clicky

Friday, January 15th, 2021

DHS issues new National Terrorism Advisory bulletin following Soleimani airstrike

© Shutterstock

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security issued a new National Terrorism Advisory System (NTAS) Bulletin following the U.S.-led airstrike that killed Qaseem Soleimani, the head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps-Quds Force.

Acting Secretary of Homeland Security Chad Wolf stated that there are currently no threats to national security, but wanted to keep the public abreast in the wake of the strike.

“At this time, there is no specific, credible threat against the homeland. The Department issued this bulletin to inform, share protective measures, and reassure the American public, state and local governments, and private sector partners that the Department of Homeland Security is actively monitoring and preparing for any specific, credible threat, should one arise” Wolf said. “The Department is operating with an enhanced posture and various operational components are taking protective measures where prudent and necessary. We have been in constant communication with Congress and interagency partners. The American people should feel assured the entire Department is working for them to keep them safe.”

Iran was designated a “State Sponsor of Terrorism” in 1984 and has engaged in an array of violent and deadly acts against the United States since then, the bulletin said. On April 15, 2019, the United States designated Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) a Foreign Terrorist Organization for its direct involvement in terrorist plotting